More things to do
BIG BAR GUEST RANCH
ECHO VALLEY RANCH & SPA
HAT CREEK RANCH
THE OLD HOUSE
Located approximately 15 km north of Clinton, off Highway 97. The "Chasm" is geological wonder which makes for spectacular viewing. The bedrock canyon is 1.5 km in length and 120 metres deep. The painted Chasm was created by glacial meltwaters thousands of years ago and is a great place to spend an evening or afternoon sight-seeing and hiking.
For the rock enthusiasts, fossils of early plant life can be easily found at the site of a closed quarry, 3 kms west of Clinton on Pavilion-Clinton Rd.
1419 Cariboo Highway
The Clinton Museum is located on the main highway in the heart of the Village of Clinton. The building which houses the Museum was built in 1892 and made from locally handmade bricks. The building served as a school until 1925 and was a courthouse from 1925 to 1955. The new courthouse was built next door and the brick building was taken over by the Museum Society in 1956.
ANTIQUE FIRE TRUCK
A 1925 model La France pumper, originally used by the Vancouver Fire Department up until the 1950's,was given to Clinton in 1958. As a fundraising project, $1.00 tickets were sold and the lucky person whose name was drawn was given credit for 'donating' the fire truck to our town. The pumper still has most of its original parts.
THE GOVERNMENT BUILDING
1423 Cariboo Highway
The Government Building is located on the main highway in the heart of the Village of Clinton. The core of the building was built twice, in 1926 and again in 1927 after a fire destroyed the completed but yet unoccupied structure. Originally the building was occupied by the Government Agent, courts, police and jail. The Forest Service moved into an extension built in 1955. The original Government buildings, built in 1876, were situated across the street, where the Clinton Villa Seniors Housing complex now stands. In September of 2000 the Village of Clinton moved the municipal office into the north end of Government buildings. Service BC (formerly the Government Agent) now has an office at the south end of the building.
THE GOVERNMENT STABLES
If you look closely at the west facing wall of the Government Stables, lettering is still faintly visible. High atop the roof on the panels of the cupola, the year 1911 has been decoratively cut, the year of construction. It is not certain what department or how many horses were stabled in this building. The numbers could have included draft work horses from the highways and forestry departments. The stables were moved from the Interior Roads Work Yard across the lane to the Clinton Museum property.
1861 CLINTON PIONEER CEMETERY
This prominent grassy knoll was donated for the use of a cemetery by the Smith family (owners of the Clinton Hotel). The first burial took place in 1861, and is dedicated to the Pioneers of the Clinton area. This cemetery is located off Highway 97 at the north end of Clinton.
The Coldwell Ranch was homesteaded in 1890 and has been in the Coldwell family since 1911. The post office was closed in 1965 and the store closed in 1970. It is now a private residence.
BIG BAR FERRY
The reaction ferry is owned and operated by the Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure. Visitors may ride across the mighty Fraser River, 35 km downstream from the famous Gang Ranch.
The Pigeon Ranch, located on Meadow Lake Road, was homesteaded in 1875 by Joseph Pigeon. In the early days, this ranch was also a stopping place and roadhouse along the roads to Dog Creek and Gang Ranch.
In the 1920s, 30s and 40s washing soda was taken out of several lakes in the area. Blocks of ice were cut in the winter and left to melt on large log 'boats'. Today, you can see the remains of a soda industry of days gone by.
THE ROBERTSON HOUSE
402 McDonald Avenue
The Robertson House was built in 1866 by F.W. Foster who owned the Foster's General Store. Lumber for construction of the house and enlargement of the store was obtained from the J.L. Smith family sawmill which was erected just behind the store adjacent to Clinton Creek. The house and store were purchased by the Robertson Family in 1932.
THE POLLARD HOUSE
1400 Cariboo Highway
The Pollard home was built in 1915 by Mr. Fry for the Botterill family. It was the home of the Thomas Pollard family around 1942. This family was directly descended of John Pollard, founder of the Pollard Ranch (1862.)